Sunday, August 16, 2009

Better is one day in your courts...




The sun rose this morning just as I knew it would. I've never enjoyed that my bedroom windows face the east, but today the bright rays of Sunday brought peace instead of discomfort. The drive to Leiper's Fork was as beautiful as ever. The winding two-lane road guided me through the green rolling pastures of Tennessee to Grace Chapel, a quaint church tucked between the horse farms and the rocky hills . I don't care what anyone else says, Tennessee is perfect. I could hardly find a parking spot today. This Sunday was different than any other in the past, today was Grace Chapel's first Sunday without beloved friend, brother, and son: Josiah David Berger. With a heavy heart and watery eyes, I made my way from the back of the parking lot to the church lobby, where I fought my way through the crowd to the balcony of the sanctuary. Today, every single seat was filled, and every hand was raised in worship.

 Josiah had been in a terrible car accident Tuesday night, and had been on life support until he slipped from the hands of man into the arms of God Friday evening. For days friends, family, and strangers prayed on their hands and knees begging God for a miracle: that Josiah Berger would live. As in any story of faith, God had another plan. When Josiah Berger applied for a drivers' license, he checked that tiny box on the application, signing himself up to be an organ donor. Little did Josiah know that his decision at the DMV would change the lives of 77 people as well as save 5 lives. His death was part of a bigger picture we could not see. Our prayers were answered. We saw a miracle, because Josiah David Berger gave a miracle. Just as Jesus did.

 "On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand..." Hands were raised as voices were echoing off the walls and pews of Grace Chapel. My eyes fell upon the front door of the sanctuary where pastor, Steve Berger, led his family hand-in-hand into the crowd of worshippers who loved Josiah. There was cheering, tearing, and many many hugs. Even still, the hymns never fell quiet. Finally, Steve and his wife, Sarah, faced the alter and raised their hands to the God who gave him their son, the God that took their son, the God that made it possible for them to still have faith, hope, and love. 

The sanctuary fell silent as Steve and Sarah tip-toed onto the stage, facing the family, friends, and strangers who had been praying for Josiah's miracles. They were barefoot and their hearts were heavy. Steve held his wife close as she leaned toward the microphone and softly said, "We love you guys." The sanctuary cheered, and they smiled. 
"This did not destroy us," Pastor Steve declared, "my son is with God. He went from life, to life. We don't use the 'd' word, unless we cuss. Which isn't often." It was then that I felt peace and the presence of God tapping on my shoulder, and for the first time in years, I opened my heart and let it in. This was real, this was honest. 

Christianity is not a 'Jesus Camp', it is not a book, and it is not a moral courtroom. It's a leap of faith, a comfort,  a will to help others, and a belief that all things are possible through the intelligence God gave us. Josiah David Berger's miracle was real and now, so is my faith. 

Thank you for reading.

XoXo

wes.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you - for describing my experience too - in a way I could never do justice to.

    ReplyDelete